Lame Hen

One of my RIR hens is not walking on one of her feet, I don't think it's bumblefoot, anybody have any other suggestions ?
All my RIR sleep in one nesting box on top of each other, so I was thinking her leg could have got squashed or sprained?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hi, Fatduck. First of all sorry to hear about lame hen. (you dont suspect bumble foot swollen lump on bottom of foot-ok).Is she just limping or draging foot you need to check this out first, or does foot look narmal butt just limping. or is foot curling inwards and walking on knuckles.As theres a number of foot and leg disorders in poultry would need more info in order to help.
  • edited November -1
    Hi CHUCKLE BROTHER her is foot curling up like a fist and she is hopping on her other foot while flaping her wings to keep her left side up when she is standing she opens her foot and supports her self.
  • edited November -1
    Hi Fat Duck.
    Unfortunitely if the foot is curling in and the bird is walking on its knuckles this arises from a vitamin deficency normally vit B2. It normally developes in younger birds that have been reared in confined spaces. Sadly there is no cure. This deformity can occur at any time. Regretfully I would suggest culling the bird as it will deteriate and mortallity would soon follow. This is why I can't stress enough the use of vitamin suppliaments in young growers as this should elimates that problem.
  • edited November -1
    Thats a bit of bad news, thanks for the advise CHUCKLE BROTHER
  • edited November -1
    Hi,

One of our hens went lame for no reason. She had only started laying. She layed 2 eggs and then nothing. We tried everything but nothing worked. Eventually we found out she was egg bound. She died. Had never heard of lameness being sign of eggbound until this happened.
  • edited November -1
    I have a pekin bantam hen. She is about a year old. She is very lame, but looks great otherwise and is feeding and drinking. The problem has been worsening over a number of weeks. One foot looks white with purple speckles and the other has no speckles- don't know if that means anything. Also the non speckled foot seems limp while the other one seems fine. I think she laid one egg, her first, before this problem began. I'm a novice to hen keeping and would appreciate any suggestions. Fionnuala