Quiet cock bird?

Hello all,
About a year ago I moved house, from the countryside into a small town, and had to leave my chickens in the capable hands of my brother.

I am now in the process of building a small hen house with the intention of keeping 6 to 8 hens in my back garden.

Ideally I would like to include a cock bird in my little flock but I also do not want to drive my neighbours demented as he starts to crow in the morning.

Can anyone recommend a breed of cock that does not have a loud crow, or does not crow much?

I once owned a booted bantam, which did crow quite often but he lived in a large run at the end of a large garden and you really had to pay attention to hear him at all.

Preferably I would like a large breed but I will not include one in my flock if I can't identify one that will not annoy the neighbours.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hello Smithcity

The Brahma Rooster would be a good choice very mild mannered chap. They look great too and are very friendly.

Regards Thelord
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice, I actually spoke to a breeder at a poultry sale last week who made the same suggestion.
    I bought a couple of lovely young Brahma hens from him and may pick up a rooster in the future.
  • edited November -1
    Hi smithcity

Hope the new Brahmas are doing well. What Color did you get ? Have Seven Golden Brahma myself two Adults and Five Four week old Chicks.

They are a Favorite of mine Very Striking looking and so easy going.

Cheers thelord